Meeting at the FAO Regional Office in Santiago (Chile)
Prof. Carmen Sáenz, General Coordinator of FAO-ICARDA International Technical Cooperation Network on Cactus (CactusNet), held a meeting at the FAO Regional Office in Santiago (Chile), with Ms. Eve Crowley, FAO Deputy Regional Representative for Latin America and the Caribbean and FAO Representative in Chile. The purpose of this meeting was to discuss the activities carried out by CactusNet at the international level and to analyse possible joint actions around the activities developed by CactusNet at local and Latin American level. In the meeting, invited by Ms. Crowley, also participated Mr. David Nowell, Agricultural Officer, FAO Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean, Ms. Sara Granados, FAO Consultant in Food Systems and Mr. Byron Jara, FAO Consultant Regional Technical Project Coordinator.”
- Introduction of cactus pear clones for forage to INDIA.
- Introduction of cactus pear clones for forage and nopalitos to ARGENTINA.
- Introduction of cactus pear fruit varieties to IRAN (FAO-ICARDA TCP / IRA / 4557 Tropical Fruits).
- Improvement of cactus pear cultivation – FAO-ICARDA TCP / ARG / 8821 Frutales de zonas áridas.
- Introduction of cactus clones for forage and fruits production to Syria, Mauritania, Jordan, Pakistan.
- Introduction of cactus clones for the creation of a germlasm collection to Oman.
- ERITREA Technology transfer of cactus pear production and utilization FAO-ICARDA TCP / ERI / 8923-TCP / ERI / 2802.
- ETHIOPIA Technology transfer of cactus pear production and utilization FAO-ICARDA TCP / ETH / 2901.
- Telefood projects in ARGENTINA, CUBA, ETHIOPIA